I am going to tell you everything you never wanted to know about me, so go grab some coffee, sit down and read my answers for these 20 questions!
1) What's your name? - Beth but I go by Bethanne. Why? First name is just Beth, but I have always wanted a prettier name, so I combined my first and middle names into one and have been known as Bethanne for 16 years now. Longer story is that my mom combined her first and middle name because her first name is a very common name, so to distinguish herself from her friends she combined her first and middle names-. I hope one day my daughter does the same thing, and so I chose her first and middle name with that in mind.
2) How do you spend your days? I spoke briefly of this in my opening blog, but my daily schedule is pretty easy, wake up, get "Love" ready for school and wait for other children to arrive. "Hun" takes Love to school. I feed the other kids and turn on Sprout, as I clean up breakfast. Either they go down for naps or we play-depends on the kid. After a good nap(for them-I normally take this time to pick up my phone and waste time or take up the knitting project I have been working on) it's story time followed by lunch, clean up time and more play. I then sit down with the toddlers and teach, sing, dance, or do a craft. Followed by snack and second nap time. By the time they wake up it's free play time until they go home, while I clean everything up.
3) Have you always lived in NJ?
No, I lived in Northeast Philly until I was 9, then moved to NJ at the start of 3rd grade. Since I turned 19, I have bounced between 4 different towns and hopefully have settled at this point, but let's leave that story open for now.
4) What are some of your hobbies?
I love to read, knit, do anything crafty (although, I'm no where near Pinterest worthy) and sign language, actually any language fascinates me. I don't know any fluently, but I can probably tell you at least one word in about 15 languages.
5) What's the best meal you've ever had? This is hard to pick just one, but I have to say I love the sun-dried tomato and goat cheese combo of the Chicken Bryan from Carrabba's.
I love anything that uses that combo, thanks to my ex-almost-mother-in-law. Back in 2005, She made an angel hair pasta with this combo for a night when I was meeting her.' I was scared outta my mind to try goat cheese, but I politely ate it anyway, and became obsessed. :)
6) If you could vacation anywhere in the world, where would you go? Oh the places I could go! Greece, Italy, France, Australia, Hawaii, some romantic deserted island paradise....
I'd settle for anywhere with a bed and no kids right now! ;)
7) What's the best gift you've ever given?
I think my dad got the best gift, I was looking through emails and up popped an ad for the swimmer's MP3 player. My dad and I share a passion for exercise and music, he swims daily and always had me burn CDs for his workouts when I was younger and living with them. This was the PERFECT gift for him! So I had to get it for him since Father's
Day was right around the corner. I was so excited about what his reaction would be, and he loved it!
8) And what's the best gift you've ever received?
Something so simple yet meant the world to me. I celebrated my first Mother's Day when I was pregnant with Love in 2006. No one else had acknowledged that, although she wasn't born, I was still a mother that day. So, a year later, I was a single mom to a 6 month old "love" and forgot all about what didn't happen the year prior, because I got a card from my brother that simply stated he was proud of me and the great job I was doing as a mother. It meant a lot since so many people doubted my ability to be a "good" mother the previous year.
9) What ability or skill do you most wish you had (that you don't have already)?
I wish I could cook! I am constantly putting myself down for not being the mom that makes all the meals for her family, but Hun is a great cook so he makes up for it.
10) What is/was your favorite subject in school?
I don't really remember! I guess I'd say Physics, because I remember thinking that shit was cool. I loved choir, and my 1st period study hall where I'd sleep on the couch in our choir room or converse with some friends over coffee and bagels. :) Good memories. :)
11) What's the biggest problem facing the world right now?
Bullying. Not just by kids, by adults too! As well as by religions, by governments, and by the teachers we entrust our children to.
12) If you alone could solve it, how would you do it?
I would love to believe that, logically, one person could solve a problem of this magnitude, but it's not gonna happen. Realistically, what I intend to do is post up a YouTube video of my story. Having been bullied myself, being suicidal as a teen, and surviving to this point in my life, realizing how thankful I am that my attempts weren't successful. I feel if my story may save even just one teenager from committing suicide, then I've done something about it.
13) What's your dream job? I'm doing it!! I love children, especially little children! They test you, but bring so much joy to your life! I love every minute of it!
14) If you had to choose only one: cat or dog? Cat! Simply that! I like dogs, but the answer is Cat!
15) What's your favorite movie of all time?
Across the universe. Beatles music, turned into a Musical!!! Need I say more?!?!
16) Aside from food, water, and shelter, what one thing could you not go a day without?
Well, besides for the sentimental answer of my kids, I'd have to say my phone. It connects me to the outside world and entertains me during the silence of the day.
17) In everyday life, what is your number one pet peeve?
People who think they can rule someone else's life because they are close acquaintances or friends or family members. If someone is doing something that you don't agree with, feel free to speak your mind about it, but don't expect them to change just because you say so. AND furthermore, if they say thanks, but no thanks, do not try it again every chance you get or get other people to convince them they are wrong. (Unless they are hurting themselves or others- this is the only time this behavior will be tolerated in my life!)
18) Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
Hopefully finishing or finished my teaching degree, and either working for a living or continuing my current business just a step or two up in the world. I'd like to actually be married to "Hun" and have at least one more child with him.
19) What was something you did as a little kid that got you in a lot of trouble?
Oh boy, I was so bad. Crazy to put it bluntly. I was maybe 7 or 8 when my family added a deck to our row home in Philly. We decided to enjoy eating out on this deck one night and I was given the responsibility to set the table. I was either curious or angry but for some reason I decided to take a steak knife and slice open the screen door. Oops! To top it off I created a fantastic story about how I tripped and fell into the sliding door and the knife got stuck in the screen and slid down with me. Or something like that. I was in so much trouble but I don't remember much about the punishment.
20) What is your first memory of being really excited?
I, uh, don't,- know. I guess it was a birthday of mine, but I'm not sure how old I was, maybe 8 or 9. I got a Strawberry Shortcake bike, and I remember coming down stairs to that bike leaning up against the dining room wall, and being so revved up about it. I think that was it, although I can remember things that were exciting before that ( like a trip to Disney at age 6) but I don't remember my reactions or emotions to those events.
So that's my story, and I'm sticking to it! Although there are so many wonderful stories to tell, I got to save something for tomorrow! :)
Have a good weekend!